Tuesday 11 December 2012

Am in Bondage because of Marriage, I can’t catch fun again - Sola Kosoko–Abinna

Sola Kosoko is versatile and graces the screen with her nice
interpretation of roles. The daughter of the veteran actor, Prince
Jide Kosoko, in this interview with DOYIN ADEOYE, talks about her
career, her marriage and style.


AT what point did you discover your talent in acting?


I started acting when I was young because I've been featuring in
movies since then, but I never knew I'd take it up as a career and
become a full time actress. The first movie I featured in was in I987,
which was Omo Orukan. It was a celluloid film where I played the role
of young Peju Ogunmola.

What was the first major role you played as a professional?


That would be Oko Irese in 2000 and Olorire in 2001. Both movies shot
me into limelight.

What inspires your movies?


When I produced Sindara, what motivated me to come up with a story
like that were the challenges that confront couples on blending their
professional demands and marital responsibilities. So the movie was
about how to balance the situation and it also focused on the societal
expectation of women.


How has marriage affected your career?


Marriage has not really changed much about me, aside the fact that it
reduces one's movement. Before marriage, you are free to stay out,
achieving stuffs or catching fun but now one has to be conscious of
the fact that you are no longer alone.

How is your relationship with your colleagues?


I'm comfortable working with any of my colleagues, both junior and
senior. Once they've shown professionalism in what they know how to do
best, I try and maintain a professional working relationship with them
as well.

Most memorable role on the job?

I have done a lot of memorable roles, such as my characters in
Obakeye, Jemila, Street Girls, Olorire and a lot more.

Any role restriction?


I don't have any role restrictions, because every actor or actress
must be versatile, but our culture would also be put into
consideration when accepting roles. We cannot rule out our culture,
because our society frowns on some roles, believing that the Americans
that we try to emulate have their culture, while we have ours.


Background?


I'm a humble and easy going person, I hail from downtown of Lagos
(Isale Eko). I was born and raised in Lagos to the family of Prince
Babajide Kosoko and the late Sherifat Abimbola Kosoko. I'm the third
child of my parents and I'm a practising Christian.

Educational history?


I attended Methodist Primary School and Aje Comprehensive High School
both at Sabo, Yaba, Lagos before I proceeded to Olabisi Onabanjo
University where I bagged a Bachelor's degree in Sociology.